It’s that time of year and it wouldn’t be the holidays without eggnog. We think the best eggnog around is the kind you make yourself at home. You have complete control as to what goes into it and it’s not hard to make.
You can use whole milk and heavy cream for an amazingly thick and creamy nog, or use lower fat milks, you still get a rich flavor with less calories.
This recipe takes about an hour to cook and requires minimum of 8 hours to cool, so plan ahead and enjoy with family and friends.
What you’ll need:
4 cups Kimball Brook Farm milk, whole or low fat
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
10 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup Kimball Brook Farm heavy cream, for lower fat, use our half & half
1⁄2 cup bourbon (optional, not for the kids)
1. Bring milk and nutmeg to a simmer in medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. In large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot milk into eggs.
3. Return mixture to pan; cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, 20 to 25 minutes; do not let simmer.
4. Remove from heat and pour through a fine-meshed sieve into a bowl.
5. Whisk in heavy cream and bourbon (optional). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 8 hours or overnight.
6. Ladle into cups and garnish with nutmeg, if desired.
It’s a wonderful addition to any holiday gather and even better to enjoy all winter long.